It doesn’t take long for dust, dirt, and other contaminants to accumulate in the ductwork of your HVAC system. Over time, dirty ducts affect the entire HVAC system.
It is impossible to fully operate efficiently and debris, dirt, dust, and pollutants can increase allergens and irritants in your home.
Duct cleaning is one of the best ways to clear the air in your home, extend the life of your HVAC and make your home more energy efficient.
5 Signs Your Ducts Need Cleaning
If it’s been a few years (or decades) since you’ve had your ducts cleaned, look out for these five signs. These are clear indicators that it is time to get your ducts cleaned.
- Debris Buildup In Vent Covers – Take a look at your vent covers every month. If you notice significant dirt or debris buildup on the vent covers, it could indicate blockages or contaminants inside the ductwork. Dirty vents are usually a clear sign of dirty ducts, and it’s important to address the issue promptly to ensure healthy air quality and optimal system performance.
- Mold Growth – Mold and mildew growth in air ducts can cause significant damage to your home and family. To prevent this, regularly check your vent covers for any dirt buildup and look for signs of mold growth, such as discoloration, near your vents and HVAC components. If you notice any signs of mold growth, it’s crucial to hire a mold removal specialist promptly to handle it. Neglecting mold growth in your air ducts can result in more serious and costly damage in the future.
- Reduced Airflow – If you notice that air in the room is not circulating even with your vents open, your vents may be clogged. Dirt and debris do not allow air to flow from your HVAC system, so you are experiencing reduced airflow in the room. At this point, you need to call for a professional duct cleaning and let your vents breathe again.
- Unpleasant Noise Coming from the Air Ducts – Your ducts should not produce loud sounds. A faint hum of the operating motor is normal; however, an unpleasant noise is not. If you hear rattles and bangs, you should schedule a professional checkup for your vents. There might be some blockages that need to be cleaned.
- Signs of insects and rodents – Warm and cozy air in the air vents is the perfect place for rodents and insects to get comfortable. They can often go undetected in ductwork until you notice an unpleasant odor or hear them moving around inside. In this case, it’s important to hire a professional duct cleaning service to remove any debris and potential health hazards left behind by these pests.
Benefits of Having Clean Functioning Ducts
Cleaning the ducts in your home can protect your HVAC system and provide a healthier living environment for you and your family.